Bleh with Barry

Random with a cynical twist of lime.

Summer Reading

with 6 comments

With school finally drawing to a close, I begin to look to days of less things to do which means that I’ll have time to read. I love reading…it comes with the territory of being an English Professor I suppose. However, I have so many books on my “to read” list that I’m having a hard time fathoming what to read first.

1) I have thought of rereading all my treasure Anne Rice books. I love all the vampire books (some a little more than others but that’s splitting hairs), and every time I read them, I learn something new or become more aware of certain characters. These novels are also something that I’m contemplating writing my Master’s thesis over…so, I feel like it might be viable to go back and reread now instead of waiting.

2)The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien. As a fan of fantasy fiction, many people are shocked to find out that I haven’t read all three of the books all the way through. This fact does not mean that I haven’t read a great deal of them; I just haven’t read all of them. I am greatly in love with the movies (as I have watched them to have something to grade papers with this semester). I want to see where they came from, and I know that the books will be better than the movies. It’s pretty much an unwritten fact that the book will be better than the movie hands down.

3) A plethora of other books that I have around that have been collecting dust.
Atonement by Ian McEwan (again loved the movie)
Paradise Lost by Milton (interested in the mythology of the fall of Satan that he presents)
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell (being a large proponent of mythology, I have only read pieces of this book…however, since it may play a great part in the creation of my Master’s thesis, I feel like it is worth the read…also, I know that I will enjoy it)

And these are just a few of the books that I have to decide from…I also usually read Bram Stoker’s Dracula about every other summer…so, this book is back in the cycle of things too…Really, I just need to be able to absorb information by osmosis…that would be wonderful…but until then, I am going to have to think about it. Any suggestions people out there. I’m even open to others that might not necessarily be on my “list”.

Advertisements

6 Responses

1. I think you’d enjoy Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files books. They’re quick and easy reads. I finished the first 9 of them in 6 weeks a few summers ago. They’re detective noir with the protagonist being a wizard in Chicago making a living as a private investigator. There’s a vampire subplot that runs through most of the series, though it’s wrapped up pretty nicely in Book 12 (the newest one).

Professor Beej

April 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm

• Hmmmm…you have two major selling points for me in fantasy/sci-fi fiction…vampires and wizards…Gah!!! Now, I’m even more torn.

barryr22

April 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm

• There are different courts of vampires in the Dresden Files, each being named after a color: red is the most typical, with beasts wearing “flesh masks” and drinking blood. Black are the nosferatu. White are actually succubi/incubi, siphoning off psychic life energy through sex and physical contact, and Jade are mentioned as being mean and Asian, but we haven’t gotten a good look at them yet.

Harry Dresden starts an all-out war with the Red Court early on and the White Council (the wizard’s ruling body) fights them for most of the series. I think you’d really like it. “Changes” Book 12, ends the conflict for the most part and starts dealing with how vampires are so ancient that in Central/South America they set themselves up as the Mayan gods.

Fun stuff. Read it! You can get the omnibuses cheap off sfbc.com or I can get you all of the ebooks for free. 😉

Professor Beej

April 23, 2010 at 12:56 pm

• Hmmmm…I might have to check this out…it’s intriguing (to use a word that I use quite often)…I’m also trying to catch up on the Sookie Stackhouse books too…Gah! So much to read…

barryr22

April 23, 2010 at 1:13 pm

2. You need to read LOTR. Your not having read this is just inexcusable at this point.

Also, read Angel Time. I’ve finally gotten into the meat of it, and it’s REALLY intriguing.

Creaves

April 22, 2010 at 11:41 pm

• I know that LOTR is a big thing. That’s why it’s on my reading list…Gah! Why must everyone judge me for this?!?

barryr22